Local Rivers and Creeks
East Branch Owego Creek and Owego Creek
The East Branch of Owego Creek is a small creek that heads in Cortland County NY
and flows south through Richford, Berkshire, Newark Valley, and Flemingville, where
it joins the West Branch becoming Owego Creek. Owego Creek (footnote)
Creek just north of Owego before ending at its confluence with the Susquehanna River
on the south west side of Owego.
Hazard: Possible barbed wire across the creek.
| Section || Difficulty || Dist. || Time || Scenery || Page |
| Newark Valley to Owego || 2+* || 13 miles || 4 hrs || good || 47 |
A fast trip at high water - with chutes and rapids -makes it a fun run for the experienced paddler.
In: At the bridge in Newark Valley.
Out: Exit just before the Rt. 17C bridge at Marvin Park just past Topps and the
fair grounds on Rt. 17C.
Hazards: Possible strainers, sweepers, and barbed wire across the creek.
Water Conditions: Runnable early Spring or after very heavy rain.
Gauge: The gauge at Owego Creek near Owego should read at least 2.5 ft.
- Difficulty Class:
- 0 = little or no current (beginners).
- 1 = light current (novice paddlers).
- 2 = fast current with small waves (intermediate paddlers).
- 3 = large waves (experienced paddlers only).
- + = plus rocks and boulders to make it more interesting
- * = strainers are likely to be encountered.
- Page: Refers to page number in DeLorme's New York State Atlas & Gazetteer. 1988
Dec. 2004 Feb. 2010